Welcome!

Welcome to the Seattle Arts Ecology, Spring 2008. Please make use of this space to track course activities and assignments, share observations, ask questions, post photos from field trips, plug upcoming shows . . . you name it.

Sunday, September 9, 2007

Biophilia

My overall reaction to "Bioregional Thinking" is that I agree with mostly everything in the exerpt/article. The idea of a bioregional approach to rebuild communities and help our understanding of "place" is something I've definately never thought about before.

The first section, or couple of pages, is where I had the most thought or reaction. When talking about location and the question "Where are we?" and all the intricacies of the answer to the question, I thought about how every individual is obviously in a different specific place at every moment and no one person is in the exact location as another and can not therefore be answered generally as "we". "Yet how deeply do any of us really know where we are?" As far as geography, we have an accurate analysis of where we are, but as far as emotionally or the "Where am I in this stage of my life?" can never truely be answered because even all of that is changing. Every day is a new day and we don't stay in one place for a long period of time. The questions in the following paragraph as sub-sections of the question "What am I supposed to do?" was good food for thought on the topic of what a certain city, country, etc. means to a person and what we can do to make it better.

Technology is always advancing and "making life easier" with easy access to information and making places and shopping among other things more accessible. The nature of technology is just that: to make life easier. But I agree that it has helped to isolate humans from each other as well as help communication between us faster. So I think I'm torn on the issue of technology because of what it helps and how it works in a community.

I like the idea, though, of biophilia, or at least what I think it is. I may not be so clear on the concept...

2 comments:

CSumption said...

I'll be interested to hear how the ideas in the article relate specifically to you, particularly your life in Seattle over the next four years at Cornish. What might be the value for you of getting to know Seattle deeply and well(as a city, as an arts community, as a "life-place")? How does specific, in-depth knowledge of (and investment in) a place relate to the way you practice your art form?

Chris said...

I do not agree with the way that the author seems to hate technology and think that it is evil. Also the way he's says, "The academic world had compartmentalized knowlegdge..." Talking like all of the educational instatues in the world have done this. I do agree however with the life-place issue. I do think that technology on a whole helps us and hurts us in many ways. In todays world we need to creat a scece of commnuities and naborhood by support small family companys, and farmers markets. Getting out and support local art and family. We need to take back the feeling of fellowship and naborhood.